Beer hits the deck for regatta week
- Credit: Archant
Beer Regatta sets sail on what could be its 100th year this week – and an old favourite has returned.
Saturday starts with a treasure hunt and ends with a barn dance in the Mariners’ Hall, led by the Barn Stormers from 7.30pm. For tickets, call Annie Boalch on 07968 157136.
Sunday is the family fun day at Beer Albion football club, which will include children’s entertainment and adult games, the Monday will see a rowing championship and a mackerel fishing competition.
Stalls and tables will line the Fore Street on Tuesday as the first ever street fair arrives on the Tuesday afternoon before the famed barrel rolling competition makes a long-awaited return.
Wednesday will be cream tea day, before regatta day on Thursday, when teams will be taking to the seas in sailing boats and homemade rafts.
You may also want to watch:
Visitors should also look skyward to see an aerial display and a grand firework extravaganza in the evening.
Friday will feature an al fresco disco, and the week rounds off on Saturday with dinghy racing.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 The questions of British Lions selection
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
The committee have been putting together a gallery of memories from years gone by, which will be on display in the Congregational Hall from August 12 to 17, and any other pictures can be added on the day.
There you can also join the debate on how old the festival is - no one knows for certain if the centenary should be this year or next, or in 2020!
A full list of events can be found in the programme, which is available in shops across Beer.