Calendar Girls set to bare all in Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
TICKETS are selling quickly for Calendar Girls, the forthcoming production from the Sidmouth Amateur Dramatics Society (SADS). That’s hardly surprising as the play includes a memorable scene where six members of a Yorkshire Women’s Institute appear naked, tastefully posing behind piles of buns or jars of marmalade.
But, says SADS, there’s considerably more to Tim Firth’s “beautifully written play”, which tells the story of how six women from Knapeley WI raised more than £3million for leukaemia and lymphoma research.
The play exposes the vulnerabilities of the main characters, “warts and all”, combined with “a generous helping of Yorkshire straight-talking and humour”.
This, says SADS, makes for a “realistic and uplifting evening’s entertainment”.
Calendar Girls, directed by Joan Heard, is at the Manor Pavilion, Sidmouth, Tuesday, October 1-Saturday, October 5, 7.45pm; Saturday matinee. 2.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets – with a donation to Exeter Leukaemia Fund – are £10 (£5 for under 16s).
Box office: 01395 514413 (10am-2pm, Monday-Saturday).
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council