Devon County Show opens
DEVON S rural showcase will be launched by royal command tomorrow, Thursday, when HRH The Duchess of Cornwall visits the area to see the County Show at Westpoint. The Duchess is president of the Devon County Agricultural Association this year.
DEVON'S rural showcase will be launched by royal command tomorrow, Thursday, when HRH The Duchess of Cornwall visits the area to see the County Show at Westpoint.
The Duchess is president of the Devon County Agricultural Association this year.
Her first visit to the show was three years ago with Prince Charles, who is patron of the association.
This year's theme is the Year of Food and Farming - a campaign aimed at putting children in the know when it comes to their food and its origins. This national school curriculum campaign is all about the whole industry pulling together to bridge the gap between consumers and the countryside.
You may also want to watch:
Show secretary Ollie Allen said: "We are honoured and delighted that our president is able to attend the show. We are very much looking forward to introducing Her Royal Highness to some of the very many people who come together in May to give us an insight into their rural life - whether that's breeding livestock, lace-making or producing cheese."
The Devon County Show is a celebration of rural living in Devon - from livestock to locally-produced food and drink, floral displays and gardens - and is a regional showcase.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
There is also non-stop entertainment, including thrills and spills with motorcycle stunt riders.
Ollie added: "Main ring spectaculars are just one element of this huge and interactive entertainment experience. We are preparing to show the best of Devon in just 93 acres and are putting on a programme of activity which takes in so much of what makes this county the best place in the country to live and visit."
* The Devon County Show, at Westpoint, Exeter, May 15-17 2008.