Mesmerised by ‘Beer Beach’
- Credit: Archant
The Resident Magazine’s arts writer Alison Summerfield meets Emma Molony project manager and fundraiser at the Thelma Hulbert Gallery, Honiton.
As well as her work at the Thelma Hulbert Gallery (THG), Emma is a well known printmaker.
She joined their small, busy team in 2013.
“We all work together to show a variety of temporary exhibitions, a busy learning programme and a lovely shop that supports South West artists and makers, she says. “It’s quite a change from when I used to deliver printmaking workshops, but that was all helpful in being able to think about how artists can work with the public.”
Surrounded by art and artists Emma said her favourite work of art was a painting called Beer Beach, ink on paper by Angus Rutherford that she bought about five years ago at his solo exhibition at the former Marle Gallery, in Axminster.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d never seen his work before and was totally mesmerised by his mark-making,” she explains. “I probably bought it because if I could, it’s the kind of work I’d like to make myself.”
Emma lives in Beer and there are many artists’ impressions of this particular view but she says, “Angus captured something else completely – it’s much more dynamic and the bright pink wash is brilliant.”
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 7 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 8 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 9 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 10 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
Emma is delighted to be currently working alongside Angus at the Gallery on their ‘Art on the East Devon Way project’. He has been leading workshops at different locations in the East Devon countryside and making a new series of paintings and dry-points for THG’s upcoming exhibition, Experiencing the Landscape. Emma is patently pleased with her purchase back in 2013 and her enthusiasm for this inspiring artist is infectious.
Experiencing The Landscape: Art on the East Devon Way runs at THG from September 8 to October 27. www.thelmahulbert.com