Enthusiastic welcome at Seaton music club
Seaton Music Club gave an enthusiastic welcome on Thursday to the Atrium String Quartet, who gave a sparkling performance for the first concert of this, the 60th anniversary, season of the Club.
The quartet (Alexey Naumenko, Anton Ilyunin, Dmitry Pitulko and Anna Gerlova) was founded in St Petersburg at the Conservatoire in 2003, and is now resident in Berlin.
Expectations were high and were immediately justified with the first item – Beethoven’s Quartet in F, opus 18 no.1. The changing mood and character of the first movement, the dramatic opening of the second, the delicate light and shade and clear articulation throughout showed not only the technical brilliance of the players but also their emotional and intellectual involvement.
All four members of the quartet hadvirtuoso parts throughout and the whole palette of emotions evoked by all was evident in their rendering.
The hall was well filled and the members did not let the players go without an encore. They chose a short piece by a German-Turkish composer, full of sparkle and wit, with impossible sounding fast passages, oriental rhythms and dramatic sound effects worthy of a film score - and not expected from these instruments!
You may also want to watch:
The Atrium Quartet are giving 16 concerts in their current UK tour and Seaton was indeed privileged to have had one of them.
The next concert in the season is on Thursday 10 November, when the pianist John Lill will play works by Mozart, Schumann, Prokofiev, Brahms and Beethoven.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford