Events in Sidmouth to mark National Storytelling Week
- Credit: Archant
Spoken Word of Sidmouth will mark National Storytelling Week (January 28 – February 4) by running five events for adults.
Tonight (Friday, January 27) ‘Story Nights for Grown-ups’ will see Janet Dowling tell No Damsels in Distress at Kennaway House at 7.30pm. Tales are told of strong women that don’t take ‘no’ for an answer! Tickets (£8) from Paragon Books or £10 on the door.
During the week, there will also be free ‘Guerilla Storytelling for Grown-ups’, with storytellers at the following venues from 11am:
Tuesday, January 31, Barazza, with Janet Dowling;
Wednesday, February 1, Costa Coffee, with Janet Dowling;
You may also want to watch:
Thursday, February 2, Sambati’s, with Tony Sparkes.
And if you feel inspired to tell a story yourself, the first Tuesday Story Café meets on Tuesday, February 7, from 2pm - 4pm, at Twyford House (£3 entry).
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 7 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 8 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
Tony Sparkes, a volunteer at the museum, is not a stranger to storytelling, but says: “I have been telling more stories at the museum and running some storytelling sessions in local schools. Without participation at Janet’s events, I would not be confident to do these.”
He will also be telling stories at local schools during the week.