FolkWeek shanty songsters to aid Sidmouth Lifeboat
Sea shanty singers return to Sidmouth FolkWeek to aid local lifeboat
FOR 10 years The Middle Bar Singers have supported Sidmouth Lifeboat during FolkWeek, devoting Tuesday night raising money at The Anchor with fines, raffle, auctions, collections and sponsorship.
In recent years their efforts have been helped by a boarding party of Exmouth Shanty men and this year, a mutinous mob, led by Jeff Lewis from within the Middle Bar, will lead a run ashore, threatening to sing at other venues until enough is raised to make them stop.
Mike Gibson from Middle Bar Singers, said: “We love singing sea shanties and raising money for Sidmouth Lifeboat is an excellent cause. It gives us a chance to show our respect to those brave volunteers and give something back to the town.”
The boarding party will compete with the Mother Ship – those staying in the Middle Bar – under Mike’s stern eye, to see who can raise the most.
You may also want to watch:
There will be a short auction on festival Tuesday evening in the Anchor to raise funds, while the boarding party will target such venues as The Ship, Sidmouth Sailing Club, The Royal York and Faulkner, The Swan and the New Tavern.
They have been known to press gang likely looking singers.
- 1 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 4 The questions of British Lions selection
- 5 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 6 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 The keys to good teamwork? Trust, communiication, commitment and accountability
Volunteers are welcome to meet at The Anchor at 7.30pm, Tuesday, August 4.
Mike said: “We hope the competition between that mutinous mob led by that scallywag Jeff Lewis and the stalwarts in the Middle Bar will encourage people to give freely for the lifeboat.”
The Middle Bar Singers hold the record, raising more than �1,500 in one night.
Anyone interested in sponsoring fundraising should contact Mike on 07734052235.