Gypsy a sell-out success at Kennaway House
One of the town’s favourite singers, Gypsy Watkins, gave a very welcome return at a sold-out concert at Kenn-away House on Saturday.
Since her first stage performance at this venue, Gypsy has built up quite a following in Sidmouth and the neighbouring towns.
There were no spare seats left in the Cellar Bar and people were standing for the whole of the second half.
It is not surprising that tickets for the next concert in May are already in demand.
Gypsy has a remarkable stage presence, it is said. She has an original way of making an entrance, and when she walks to the stage she gives a friendly touch to those she passes – and a very special atmosphere is created instantly.
You may also want to watch:
Gypsy has a good repertoire of famous opera arias, and that is where her magnificent voice is at its most impressive. The timbre of her voice is very soft, yet pure and clear, and she can effortlessly reach the highest notes.
She caters for all tastes, and her programme usually includes a fair number of popular songs, intermingled with the operatic arias.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
For certain numbers she also encourages the audience to take up the refrain – but people are probably too overawed by her brilliant voice to participate wholeheartedly!
The programme being over two hours long, one is left wondering how she can keep up so long without showing any signs of fatigue. In fact, she asks the audience if they are tired!
The answer is a definite “No” – and we are already looking forward to the next date.