Handel’s Isrealite story to be played at Ottery concert
- Credit: Archant
Ottery Choral Society’s spring concert will be held in the parish church on Saturday, March 23 with a performance of Handel’s oratorio ‘Israel in Egypt’.
A spokesman said: “Most of you will know ‘Messiah’, but perhaps are less familiar with the magnificent ‘Israel in Egypt’, which Handel composed three years earlier.
“It is scored for double chorus and orchestra, containing relatively little solo material, and is dominated by large-scale virtuoso choruses which tell the story of the flight of the Israelites out of Egypt after suffering from plagues of frogs, lice and locusts, not to mention hail, thunder and days of darkness.”
The society’s choir will be joined by well-known local soloists Rebecca Smith and Leslie Baker. Mezzo-soprano Rebecca was a member of Glyndebourne Festival Chorus and Touring Opera for several seasons, and makes regular appearances on the concert platform in venues such as the Festival Hall and in the Promenade Concerts at the Albert Hall.
Tenor Leslie trained as a Choral Scholar at Cambridge, and has an extensive oratorio repertoire, performing with many choirs and choral societies in the South West.
You may also want to watch:
The orchestra, led by Sarah Greinig, will also be performing Haydn’s Symphony nu,ber 82 in C, sometimes known as ‘the Bear’.
Tickets are available from Stagestruck in Ottery or from Society members, and include a glass of wine and light refreshments after the concert.
- 1 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 8 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
For further information contact Liz Hooper on 01404 42116 or visit www.otterystmarychoral.org.