Lucky number seven win for Sidmouth Town Band
Third place for Sidmouth band after weekend contest in Torquay
IT’S win number seven for Sidmouth Town Band, after it came third at the South West Brass Band Association contest at the Riviera Centre, Torquay at the weekend.
Yet another piece of silverware has been added to its growing collection.
Principal trombone and band chairman Christopher Holland said: “Having represented the West of England in the National Finals at the end of September, the band knew that the limited rehearsal time available would prevent them from being quite as prepared for the contest as they would like.
“However, they set off from Sidmouth very early on Saturday morning, knowing that they could still put in a good performance of Peter Graham’s piece Northern Landscapes.”
You may also want to watch:
The band was drawn first to play, taking to the stage at 10am.
Fifteen minutes later, band members returned from the hall, knowing they had given a reasonable performance, but one, says Christopher, they knew lacked some sparkle.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
“After our busy year it was not entirely surprising,” said Christopher.
Despite the short amount of time they had to prepare, and the absence of their solo horn player, the band managed to win third prize and was awarded the Cornish and Devon Post Shield to add to their large collection of prizes.
The band will now take a break from competitive events as it prepares to lead the Remembrance Parade through Sidmouth on Sunday.
Members are also busy rehearsing for its popular Christmas Concert at the Manor Pavilion Theatre on Friday, December 10.
Chris said: “Tickets are already selling fast for this concert, so contact the Manor Pavilion Box Office on (01395) 514413 and book now to avoid disappointment.”
For more information, a list of engagements or if you are interested in joining the band, go to http://www.sidmouthtownband.co.uk.