Merry Wives comes to Sidmouth
MEET the two merry wives who are the main characters in Shakespeare’s play The Merry Wives of Windsor, being staged in Sidmouth next Friday.
Postgraduates from Exeter University are taking the play on tour, stopping off at All Saints’ Church Hall on Friday, March 18 for a 7.30pm start.
The play is one of the Bard’s most enjoyable comedies, and an often overlooked one - not as popular to stage as The Tempest or Othello.
The university’s Staging Shakespeare Master of Fine Arts course explores, both practically and academically, the staging of Shakespeare’s plays and the purpose of the tour is to try to emulate some of the original conditions of Elizabethan travelling players.
Tickets are available from Paragon Books (01395) 514516. If you can’t make the Sidmouth performance, you might just get in to the Beer one, which takes place at the Mariners Hall, Beer, tomorrow night (Saturday, March 12). Tickets from (01297) 21305.
You may also want to watch:
Photo by Philipp Ehmann
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford