Newton Poppleford Carnival
NEWTON Poppleford Carnival organisers have their fingers crossed for fine weather and good crowds at this Saturday s procession (September 27).
NEWTON Poppleford Carnival organisers have their fingers crossed for fine weather and good crowds at this Saturday's procession (September 27).
There will be at least two home-grown entries from the village in this year's carnival line-up on Saturday.
The organisers were still busy building the Royalty float this week in order to host Newton Poppleford's carnival queen Rebecca Tilotson.
"Newton Poppleford WI won't be entering this year," said carnival chairman Roger Hart, who reckons on 24 float entries, as well as walking groups.
You may also want to watch:
"That is quite a lot for us," said Mr Hart. As usual the line-up will take place along Exmouth Road towards Colaton Raleigh and the procession will set off at 8pm.
The route turns right from the Exmouth/Exeter roundabout and straight through the village on the A3052, finishing before the river.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 8 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
"A band and majorettes will lead the procession and the queen will present trophies and prize money near the village hall," said Mr Hart.
A carnival horse race tonight (Friday) from 8.30pm to midnight will have entertainment for all the family at the Village Hall.
Mr Hart added: "We are looking for good crowds and good weather.