Newton Poppleford performers sought for jubilee show
Villagers invited to perform in variety show for Queen’s diamond jubilee
TAKING a break from play acting, Newton Poppleford’s Ray Pickworth is recruiting performers to take part in a village Variety Show to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
The show will take place on the evening of Friday, June 1, in a large marquee on Newton Poppleford playing field, and is expected to attract an audience of 200 to 300.
Young talent, as well as seasoned performers with any kind of talent, are welcome to contact Ray on 01395 568578 for more details.
Auditions will be held at the playing field pavilion at 3pm on Sunday, February 26, and from 8pm on Monday, February 27.
You may also want to watch:
Ray said: “We are hoping for the biggest variety of talent we can find, whether ballet dancers or belly dancers, from fire eaters and snake charmers to jugglers.”
Newton Poppleford Primary School will be singing as will Sidford WI choir. Local musician Colin Campbell is putting together a village band for the event.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 9 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
“It will be a two-hour show, with an opening and closing of about 10 minutes each,” said Ray.
“It is very much village entertainment, local people for a local audience. We are not looking for top flight professionals.”
He said people would be left to rehearse their acts and meet for a run through and dress rehearsal nearer the performance.