Play to capture drama of Sidmouth Lifeboat
- Credit: Archant
A university theatre group wants to capture all the drama of the sea in an homage to Sidmouth Lifeboat.
The six Exeter students chanced upon the independent rescue service and were impressed at their selfless sense of duty to the town.
Snippets Theatre hopes residents will share their stories to help them devise a piece for their final term performance in March.
One of the members, Timothy McNiven, said: “We wanted to create a piece about their role in the community and the impact they have – they play a vital part in Sidmouth, giving up time and effort with no gain for themselves.
“They do such a good job that they go by unnoticed.”
You may also want to watch:
The 20- and 21-year-olds plan to join training days and spend time with the crew and their families to build up a picture of what life is like.
From them and the wider town, they hope to compile a range of verbatim material and non-fiction firsthand accounts that they will turn into a play.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
Timothy said it’s early days yet, and they don’t know what format the performance will take, be it video interviews, letters, or even puppets.
Sidmouth Lifeboat’s senior coxswain, Phil Shepperd, said: “I think the crew are all fascinated to know what they are going to come up with – time will tell.”
Phil’s wife Rachel said: “However they choose to represent the crew I think no one will mind.”
Snippets Theatre first learned of Sidmouth Lifeboat in a story about the East Devon Babes, an open-water swimming trio who are fundraising for the crew.
They want people with stories about how Sidmouth Lifeboat has helped them to email them to email@example.com.