Pre-show sales boost for Colaton Raleigh artist
Actor John Nettles buys Alan Cotton art prior to London show opening
FANS of Colaton Raleigh artist Alan Cotton, can’t wait for his latest show at Messum’s in London.
At least 15 of the 54 paintings have been sold, with others reserved, before the exhibition’s private view day next Tuesday, September 13.
One keen collector, John Nettles of TV’s Bergerac and Midsomer Murders fame, is among those to buy a painting prior to the show.
“He has a wonderful collection now,” said Alan, who was delighted to hear so many of his paintings had sold from website or catalogue illustrations.
You may also want to watch:
“To sell 15 before the preview in these times is remarkable,” said internationally-renowned landscapes artist Alan, who has held 18 exhibitions at the Cork Street gallery since 1985.
Hannah Magor for David Messum, who exclusively represents Alan, said: “Sales are pretty good, considering we haven’t even had the preview yet.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 8 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
“Alan has such great followers and a big fan group of his very beautiful works. It is a great result, but not surprising.”
Prices range from �1,450 for pen and ink drawings, to �18,500 for large oil canvases measuring nearly four by three feet and there have been a good range of sales across the board.
With views from Venice, Italy, Provence, New Zealand, Morocco and Donegal, as well as Cornish and Devon seascapes, buyers go for Alan’s style, not just the subject matter, she said.
Alan’s catalogue can be viewed at www.messums.com.