SADS’ leading ladies wow crowds in Steel Magnolias
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Amateur Dramatic Society’s (SADS) latest production draws to a close tomorrow evening.
The all-female cast of Steel Magnolias takes the audience through the highs and lows of friends Truvy (Christine Horth), Annelle (Leonie Motler), Clairee (Helenka Shoesmith), Shelby (Jane Ledwood), M’Lynn (Julie Salmon) and Ouiser (Sandria Stewart) in Robert Harling’s play about friendship and loss.
Director Gillian Coley says the actresses have risen to the challenge to bring 1980s’ Louisiana to Sidmouth.
She said: “There have been very few rehearsals where we have not cried and at all where we haven’t laughed.”
During rehearsals the women had to undergo hairdresser training to create an authentic feel, as the play is set in Truvy’s Beauty Shop.
You may also want to watch:
The play was turned into a film in 1989 featuring Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton and Sally Fields.
Tickets are still on sale for the remaining shows which begin at 8pm. A matinee performance will start at 2.30pm tomorrow (Saturday). Call the Manor Pavilion box office on 01395 514413.
- 1 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout