Saturday night is music night in Sidmouth
- Credit: Alfie Pugh
Saturday night, February 26, is music night in Sidmouth.
The popular Isca Ensemble is returning to Sidmouth Parish Church for a series of concerts, containing a rich selection of classical repertoire and internationally-renowned soloists.
On February 26, from 7.30pm, the orchestra will stage a light orchestral programme entitled Saturday Night is Music Night, featuring well-known pieces associated with film, television and radio broadcasts over many decades.
This will include such works as Richard Rogers' Oklahoma Suite, Elizabethan Serenade and The Water Mill by Ronald Binge with oboe soloist Joe Sharp, Vivian Ellis’ Coronation Scott, as well as other pieces by Eric Coates, Trevor Duncan and Leroy Anderson.
Masquerade Suite, with its famous waltz theme written in 1941 by Khachaturian also features, alongside a new composition by the popular young Exeter composer, Alfie Pugh.
Regular conductor Roger Hendy will be handing over the baton to the very capable hands of Alfie Pugh and Sgt Matt Green of the Royal Marines.
Other concerts include a special Spring programme of Brahms, Sibelius and Elgar’s idyllic Violin Concert with renowned South Korean soloist Joo Yeon Sir on April 23 and a summer programme on July 2 of Berlioz (‘Roman Carnival’ Overture), Dvorak Symphony No 8 and Rodrigo’s Fantasia, featuring the young versatile guitarist James Girling.
- 1 Iain Burns photography talk, McColls future in Sidmouth and the rare sound of a cuckoo
- 2 East Devon beaches given prestigious blue flag award
- 3 As Sidmouth becomes a one-bank town, how do businesses adapt?
- 4 Is 'no dig' gardening lazy or are we just replicating nature?
- 5 Sidmouth Ampitheatre targeted by vandals in 'heartbreaking' attack
- 6 Gentle optimism in the air is a shot in the arm for Sidmouth
- 7 Aviation industry is key to realising dream of a highly-skilled South West
- 8 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 9 Ottery St Mary gearing up for Queens jubilations
- 10 Whatever fuel you use to power your home, what can we do to help with bills?
Concert tickets are available via www.iscaensemble.org.uk, www. ticketsource.co.uk or from Paragon Books, Sidmouth (01395 514516).