Second Sidmouth show for Tipton artist
Tipton artist Robin Pickering opens second solo show at Kennaway House on Saturday
ONE of the first artists to see the potential of exhibiting at Sidmouth’s Kennaway House is staging his second solo show there from tomorrow (Saturday).
Robin Pickering of Tipton St John, well known for his vibrant pastels of Venice and St Ives, will tonight hold a private evening preview of his paintings, including recent views of East Devon.
Robin, who also works in oils, has exhibited widely throughout the UK and won prizes in open competitions for his work.
He writes: “My interest in art began when my parents bought a print in Boots – one of those rather garish images of a lake and mountains with fishing boats and trees, set in an indeterminate, sunny land.
You may also want to watch:
“I loved that print and it set me off on a long and interesting journey.
He said his first trip to Italy “ignited a passion for the country that resulted in many return visits. He also began painting in oils.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
“I love the smell and feel of the paint, using palette knife with thick impasto marks,” he said.
“More recently, I have returned to subjects nearer to my home and studio, developing my interest in the landscape of Devon.”
Robin has also had his work published in limited edition prints.
“I find that my style is constantly evolving, making description only temporary,” he said. “I much prefer to let the paintings speak for themselves.
“I hope that, from time to time, one of my paintings or prints will motivate someone else to begin a similar journey.”
Robin’s recent paintings of East Devon, St Ives and Venice, will feature in this latest exhibition, which opens from 10.30am to 4.30pm daily, including Sunday, from tomorrow until Thursday, March 10.