Sidmouth cafe is a ‘Great Cake Place’
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth baker has joined the cake-making elite after being nominated by a satisfied customer.
Stewart Fraser has been making the sweet treats at the Clock Tower Café since they opened 21 years ago, and now they are listed as a Great Cake Place.
The self-taught chef’s baked goods already attract people from miles around – and some of them only want to take pictures.
“We’ve been listed alongside London’s Ritz hotel – to be considered in the same breath is really amazing,” said Stewart.
“I had no idea it was coming, it came completely out of the blue.”
You may also want to watch:
Hard at work in the kitchen, Stewart is often unaware of how well his cakes were being received.
He said the Connaught Gardens café had been put forward by a customer who had remained anonymous, and that made it ‘even more satisfying’.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
Stewart has a repertoire of more than 40 cakes and is continually experimenting – he topped a cake with popping candy for the school holiday.
He taught himself, but not every trained chef has the discipline to bake well.
“The old saying is true – what you put into the oven comes out,” Stewart said.
“With cakes you don’t have the benefit of seasoning.
“It’s about being precise and meticulous, and knowing what a mixture should look like.”
The Great Cake Places list began in London and is now expanding to the rest of the country.