Sidmouth coffee shop wins industry award
A husband and wife team had a delicious surprise when they found their caf� was the only one in Sidmouth to get a prestigious accolade.
Selley’s Coffee Chop on Fore Street received the Silver in the caf� section of the Taste of the West Awards.
Katrina and John Lort took over the caf� last year, following their noses to life by the seaside, and won the award in the first year they entered.
Katrina was modest about their victory: “Perhaps they were giving the new people a chance.”
Under head chef John’s direction, the caf� became more of a restaurant, and their speciality platter – an Italian idea made with meats and cheeses from the Sid Valley and homemade bread – has drawn people from miles around.
You may also want to watch:
Katrina said: “We were assessed by a mystery customer, but because one of us is always here we’re able to keep the standard up.”
If customers like a recipe they can recreate it at home, as the pair put a shopping list on the wall to boast of their local credentials.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
Their secret? “We just cook the food we like to eat,” she said.