Sidmouth Fringe Sessions fire up for 2016
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth Fringe Sessions are back for 2016.
Spread over four nights in early August, the free sessions are a series of intimate musical performances at an oak-framed barn in Salcombe Regis.
The sessions have built a growing reputation for showcasing the best in emerging local and UK acts, who converge on McBuzz’s Barn at Thorn Park Golf Centre.
This year’s sessions open on Saturday, July 30, with a ‘Devon-connected’ night, featuring the ‘hang drum sonics’ of Ottery St Mary-based Sculpture Music, ‘cinematic soundscapes’ from Circumnavigate, the ‘swampy-bluesy’ Cave Mouth, and soul funk from East-Devon’s Jonah Hitchens and the Superband.
On Sunday, July 31 there’s live-looping from Richard Navarro, folk/indie/pop from London band SLOES, ‘sparkling’ Nordic ‘mountain pop’ anthems from Firewoodisland from Norway via Bristol, and ‘beautiful’ Celtic-tinged alt/folk from The Grenaways from Cornwall.
You may also want to watch:
The Tuesday, August 2 programme includes guitar maestro Will McNicol from Dorset, intricately-crafted songs from Manchester’s Little Sparrow, blues from Henri Herbert and Cornish alt-bluegrass crowdpleasers Flats and Sharps.
The sessions conclude on Wednesday, August 3, with BBC2 Young Folk Award 2014 nominee Hattie Briggs from Gloucester, alt-folk/rock harmonies from Haunt the Woods from Plymouth, driving beats from London quartet Burnz and alt/folk superbuskers CC Smugglers from Hertfordshire.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
A bus stops outside Thorn Park, with a late-night service into Sidmouth. There is also camping at Thorn Park, next door to the venue.
The Fringe Sessions in the Barn start around 7pm until late, with acoustic entertainment in the marquee from 6.30pm. BBC Introducing In Devon’s James Santer will be hosting the shows.
More details: www.sidmouthfringe.co.uk
For more on Hattie Briggs, click here