Sidmouth host to unique photo-cubism exhibition
East Devon Art Academy, Sidmouth, hosts unique photography exhibition from Saturday
A UNIQUE exhibition of 3-D photo-cubism artwork will open in Sidmouth tomorrow (Saturday, August 27).
Exeter artist Ben Yates is taking over East Devon Art Academy, Old Fore Street, until Friday, September 2, to show some 30 original pieces, with price tags ranging from �30 to �3,000.
He said: “Although my work is based in photography, the finished pieces are far from what people are used to.”
Previously a member of Westcountry Theatre Company, Ben, 32, took many photographs during a tour it did of Spain, Portugal and Belgium.
You may also want to watch:
“Because I didn’t consider myself a good photographer I wanted to find a way to market the shots differently, something that isn’t repeatable in prints,” said Ben.
In 2005 he came up with photo-cubism and is, he believes, the only person to use this form to express his craft, mounting prints over a three dimensional structure of blocks.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
Sometimes he uses one photo across the mount, other times he makes a mosaic of colours from his prints to give an abstract feel to his picture, which on closer inspection is full of detail.
“My collection is rather eclectic and included in the show will be two aerial shots of Sidmouth,” said Ben, who describes his work as “bright and intricate, yet simple, vibrant and young.”