Sidmouth poets host John Stuart at poetry morning
Sidmouth poets welcome Taunton-based poet as guest speaker
GUEST speaker at Sidmouth Poetry Readers’ spring poetry morning at The Belmont Hotel, Sidmouth, last Wednesday was Taunton-based poet John Stuart.
John, pictured with Mike Stott, chairman and Joyce Waterhouse, secretary, read his poems to an appreciative audience of members and guests.
John chairs the Somerset poet’s group, Fire River Poets, and runs the Poetry at the Brewhouse poetry caf�.
His first book of verse is published by Oversteps Books and his poetry has been described by M R Peacocke as “evocative, thoughtful and thought-provoking – poems which have the quiet wit of good conversation”.
You may also want to watch:
After refreshments, SPR members read poems on the theme of Sleep and Dreams, ranging from Blake, Kipling, Wordsworth and Margaret Attwood, together with poems written by themselves.
Mr Stott described the morning as “A thoroughly enjoyable morning of poetry” and thanked staff at the Belmont for their warm welcome.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 8 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out