Sidmouth poets host John Stuart at poetry morning
Sidmouth poets welcome Taunton-based poet as guest speaker
GUEST speaker at Sidmouth Poetry Readers’ spring poetry morning at The Belmont Hotel, Sidmouth, last Wednesday was Taunton-based poet John Stuart.
John, pictured with Mike Stott, chairman and Joyce Waterhouse, secretary, read his poems to an appreciative audience of members and guests.
John chairs the Somerset poet’s group, Fire River Poets, and runs the Poetry at the Brewhouse poetry caf�.
His first book of verse is published by Oversteps Books and his poetry has been described by M R Peacocke as “evocative, thoughtful and thought-provoking – poems which have the quiet wit of good conversation”.
You may also want to watch:
After refreshments, SPR members read poems on the theme of Sleep and Dreams, ranging from Blake, Kipling, Wordsworth and Margaret Attwood, together with poems written by themselves.
Mr Stott described the morning as “A thoroughly enjoyable morning of poetry” and thanked staff at the Belmont for their warm welcome.
- 1 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 2 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 3 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 4 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 5 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 6 An extra £4.6 billion made available to support UK businesses during lockdown
- 7 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 8 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 9 Sidmouth Photography Club: Photography officially recognised for its mental health benefits
- 10 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon