Sidmouth poets host John Stuart at poetry morning
Sidmouth poets welcome Taunton-based poet as guest speaker
GUEST speaker at Sidmouth Poetry Readers’ spring poetry morning at The Belmont Hotel, Sidmouth, last Wednesday was Taunton-based poet John Stuart.
John, pictured with Mike Stott, chairman and Joyce Waterhouse, secretary, read his poems to an appreciative audience of members and guests.
John chairs the Somerset poet’s group, Fire River Poets, and runs the Poetry at the Brewhouse poetry caf�.
His first book of verse is published by Oversteps Books and his poetry has been described by M R Peacocke as “evocative, thoughtful and thought-provoking – poems which have the quiet wit of good conversation”.
You may also want to watch:
After refreshments, SPR members read poems on the theme of Sleep and Dreams, ranging from Blake, Kipling, Wordsworth and Margaret Attwood, together with poems written by themselves.
Mr Stott described the morning as “A thoroughly enjoyable morning of poetry” and thanked staff at the Belmont for their warm welcome.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 9 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat