Sporting art comes to Sidmouth
Sidmouth wildlife artist Neil Cox raises profile of sporting art in solo show at Kennaway House
WILDLIFE artist Neil Cox is to stage a solo exhibition of his work at Kennaway House, Sidmouth, next week.
With an invitation-only preview next Friday (June 17) his exhibition of stunning work will definitely have a country sporting theme.
With the joint backing of Michelmores Solicitors, Sidmouth, Sportsman Gun Centre, Exeter and Chetwood Wealth Management, there will be 30 to 35 pictures, some in oils and some watercolours, to view during the show, which runs from 10am to 5pm daily until Sunday, June 26.
Neil, who lives in Sidmouth and has exhibited throughout Europe and the UK, has selected pheasant, partridge and woodcock to be among the subjects on show.
You may also want to watch:
He hopes his exhibition will raise the profile of sporting art in East Devon.
He said: “I have lived in different parts of the country and travelled from East Anglia to Scotland visiting galleries.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
“Most of the country is well catered for as far as sporting art is concerned.”
However, he says, he has found no West Country gallery that caters for “good quality sporting art.”
“It is mainly boats, beaches and coastline. I am hoping to turn that around and try to create something of a sporting art centre association with Kennaway House.”
Neil is a trustee of Kennaway House, in charge of art events there, and he is testing the water, to see what interest there will be in sporting art, before considering something more long term there.
“There has been a lot of effort from the sponsors, so it is quite a big event,” he added.
On preview night a range of sporting guns will be displayed by Sportsman Gun Centre.