Summer debut for Earnest in Sidmouth
Locally-based actor and director Alec Fellows-Bennett brings a charming open-air production of Oscar Wilde's well-loved classic, The Importance of Being Earnest, to Sidmouth this summer. Alec has many years experience directing and touring in open-air th
Locally-based actor and director Alec Fellows-Bennett brings a charming open-air production of Oscar Wilde's well-loved classic, The Importance of Being Earnest, to Sidmouth this summer.
Alec has many years experience directing and touring in open-air theatre and has travelled across England and Ireland in acclaimed productions of Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Alice in Wonderland to name a few.
Alec has assembled Idle Theme Theatre Company, an ensemble cast of both local faces and London actors, to bring this enduringly hilarious comedy of manners to life from July 10 - 12. Earnest tells the story of dashing bachelors, Jack and Algernon, who find themselves head-over-heels in love under the false identity of "Earnest". Enter Lady Bracknell, the infamous handbag and delightful confusion ensues.
Idle Theme Theatre Company's production, in association with Sidmouth Arts Club (SACOS), will take place in the beautiful gardens of Little Court Cottages, Seafield Road, which have been featured on BBC2's Changing Gardens.
You may also want to watch:
You may arrive early to enjoy your own picnic in the gardens from 6.30pm and the performance will begin at 7.30pm.
Bring picnic rugs or low backed chairs to sit on, something warm for when the night gets chilly and plenty of food and drink.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
You will be the best judge of whether to wear sunscreen or bring a rain mac! The hardy performers, however, will continue in all but the worst of weather. Tickets may be purchased from Cole's Cards and News or by calling 01395 577433.
The production will also play at Otterton Mill, Otterton, nr Budleigh Salterton on July 26 where a BBQ will be served from 6.30pm and the performance beginning at 8pm. (call 01395 568521 for tickets to include BBQ).