War Horse author at Sidmouth FolkWeek
Michael Morpurgo to read War Horse at Sidmouth FolkWeek
IN the wake of international movie success and an award-winning theatre production, Devon-based Michael Morpurgo will perform a unique reading of his book War Horse, during Sidmouth’s FolkWeek.
One of Britain’s most celebrated children’s authors and former Children’s Laureate, Michael Morpurgo found his inspiration for War Horse from an old man in his local Iddesleigh pub.
The 80-year-old, when a young man, had been “with ‘orses” in France with the Devon Yeomanry, and told the author of the horrors of war, of living in constant fear and how his only comfort was talking with his horse as he fed him at night.
Master storyteller Michael brings this story alive in the moving account of the ‘war horse’ Joey and his journey from peaceful farms in Dartmoor to First World War battlefields in France.
You may also want to watch:
FolkWeek, Sidmouth’s annual celebration of music, arts and dance, takes place between August 3-10.
Suitable for children aged 10 and over, Michael’s performance will feature heart-rending songs from the theatre show songmaker John Tams, alongside long-time collaborator Barry Coope.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
You can book tickets at 2011 prices online at www.sidmouthfolkweek.co.uk. Early Bird tickets are available until March 31.