Will you go quackers at Sidmouth’s Great Duck Derby?
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Lions Club’s Great Duck Derby is coming up shortly.
It takes place in The Byes National Trust park area in Sidmouth on Sunday, July 9.
The Duck Derby consists of two large duck races on the River Sid, between Sid Park Road and Salcombe Road bridges, plus additional attractions for children, including duck and spoon races, other fun games, a big slide and bouncy castle and tasty ice creams.
The races all start in the Sid Park Road bridge area and they commence shortly after 2pm with the children’s duck and spoon races. These are followed at 2.45pm by the corporate duck race, for red ducks sponsored by local businesses.
The main public duck race starts at 3pm when hundreds of little yellow ducks are launched into the Sid from Sid Park Road bridge, to race downstream to the finish line at the weir by Salcombe Road.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets for the yellow ducks are £1 each from Sidmouth Lions and there are cash prizes totalling £1,015 to be won.
This year’s main charity beneficiaries will be Parkinson’s UK and Devon in Sight, the local sight loss charity.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 6 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 7 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 8 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
“So be sure to buy your duck tickets soon and go along to The Byes on Sunday, July 9 to have a fun afternoon and cheer on your ducks!” says the Lions’ Chris Rignall.
The £1 duck tickets are already on sale, at Paper Moon in Fore Street (opposite Boots), Annie’s in Old Fore Street by the Market Place and at No. 83 for Cards in the High Street (opposite the Co-op).
Tickets may also be purchased from the Lions’ stall outside the Co-op store from 10am to 4pm, on Tuesday, June 27 - Friday, June 30, and July 4-7; also outside the Lidl store in Woolbrook on Saturdays June 24 and July 8.
Members of Sidmouth Lions Club will also be visiting business organisations in and around the Sid Valley prior to July 8 to invite proprietors to sponsor one or more of the red Corporate Ducks.
See also Sidmouth Lions website: www.sidmouthlions.org.uk